The Direktorenhaus offers in Berlin a connection between applied art, design, architecture and contemporary art.
The Direktorenhaus displays its own collection along with alternating exhibitions. The exhibitions’ focus is on the appreciably increased importance of design and aesthetics in life today. The programme revolves around current design phenomena and consciously includes the fringe areas with architecture, art and crafts. The Direktorenhaus thus refers to the tradition of the style-setting craftsman movements like Arts and Crafts, Werkbund, De Stijl or Bauhaus. At the same time, it also wants to clear the view for future developments and is a platform for young design, crafts and artistically orientated manufactory production. The eclectic Direktorenhaus programme allows different approaches to the understanding of design and applied art, which has undergone a change in the last few years. Following the great design ideas of the 20th century, realisation today – in view of the all-powerful global consumer world – is above all of idealised concepts on a small scale, which live out in niches the ideal of the “authentic, good life”. Organic culture, bricolage-style and digital media join together in an open way and confront design with questions of sense and future. The Direktorenhaus follows the goal of researching this phenomenon of contemporary design and making it available to a wide (and also critical) public. The Direktorenhaus bar has a small culinary offer; there are a limited number of objects, manufactory products, artist editions and smaller gifts.
The name “Direktorenhaus” comes from the original use of the house by the directors of the Alte Münze, the old mint. In the nearby production halls, the Prussian mint was installed, built by the classical architect Johann Heinrich Gentz in 1798.