The history of the Direktorenhaus began as a part of the national mint, whose bomb-proof vaults protected not only coins but also art treasures during the war.
The Direktorenhaus was founded in 2010 by Pascal Johanssen and Katja Kleiss. The building was a part of the Alte Münze, the former mint on the Werdersche Markt. The house can be reached on foot with a walk along the Spree from the Museumsinsel and the boulevard Unter den Linden. The building complex lies on the foundations of the mediaeval Krögel quarter of old Berlin. It consists of a production hall in the courtyard, factory halls lying on the Spree and the main building, in which the Direktorenhaus lies today. The historic palace on the street side is a three-storey stucco building with nineteen axes and a central recessed portal. The relief frieze, from a design by Johann Gottfried Schadow from 1800, shows scenes of metal and coin production in antique style. In the Second World War, during the bombardment of Berlin, the underground strongrooms served as storage for treasures from the Berlin museums. After the fall the Berlin Wall, the building stood empty for years and deteriorated visibly. Pascal Johanssen and Katja Kleiss renovated the building with their own resources and saved it from becoming a ruin. Since 2010, the Direktorenhaus holds art and design exhibitions and operates internationally with themed exhibitions such as the Illustrative Biennale (Paris, Zurich) or the Handmade in Germany World Tour (Saint Petersburg, Moscow, Shanghai, Macao, Shenzhen, etc.). The Direktorenhaus is the headquarters of the Deutsche Manufakturenstrasse and publisher of the art magazine “Objects. Journal of Applied Arts”.